'Chetham's is the largest specialist music school in the UK, and the only one in the north of England. Originally established as a charity school in 1653, it became a co-educational, specialist music school in 1969 and, over the last 50 years, has established itself as a central part of music education in the UK.'
'Music at The University of Manchester holds the position as one of the leading research departments in the country and gives students the opportunity to work with internationally leading academic staff throughout all our courses. Due to the size and diversity of the department, we can offer a wide range of modules and musical experiences without compromising on specialist expertise. Manchester is also home to more professional music-making than any UK city outside of London, including three professional orchestras – the Hallé, BBC Philharmonic and Manchester Camerata – as well as internationally recognised institutions such as the BBC, Bridgewater Hall and Opera North.'
'With the exception of the (national) bi-annual BBC Choir of the Year Competition, there aren't many local or regional competitions for amateur choirs. The Manchester Amateur Choral Competition seeks to readdress this imbalance by establishing an annual competition in which choirs from across and beyond the region are invited to compete in a spirit of creativity and community.' Held Late February/Early March.
'The RNCM is recognised as one of the UK’s busiest live music venues, presenting an exhilarating range of concerts and events by talented students and visiting artists. Incorporated in the programme is a series of RNCM Engage events, specifically designed to make music accessible to all, regardless of age, education, finance or health.'
'Membership is for outstanding young musicians aged 13 to 19 years and of Associated Board grade 8 standard or equivalent, who love orchestral music and the buzz of contributing to a large orchestra. Full members take part in rehearsals and concerts during term-time and in other training activities including residential courses and tours. Members are expected to commit to rehearsals on Sunday afternoons in Manchester during the autumn and spring terms ... There are no activities during the study leave period of May and June. Youth Orchestra members are also expected to attend a residential course and/or tour during the summer holidays ... Membership is free, however all members will be requested to make a voluntary donation to the Hallé as a contribution towards the core costs of maintaining the orchestra. Members are also expected to contribute towards the cost of residential courses and tours where appropriate.'
'Psappha specialises in the performance of work by living composers and music of the 20th and 21st centuries. We have an extensive and varied repertoire of hundreds of works and a reputation for technical assurance and interpretive flair. We are unique in our artistic offering as the North of England's only stand-alone, professional contemporary classical music ensemble. We are a National Portfolio Organisation for Arts Council England and a Talent Development Partner for PRS for Music Foundation.'
'Music plays a large part in the life of St Ann’s Church. Concerts and recitals are frequent events and we have regular performances of chamber music and piano recitals by students of the Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) ... The organ, which dates from 1730, was originally on the West Gallery. It has grown over the years and is now a fine instrument with 54 speaking stops on which recitals are given every week. It was rebuilt by George Sixsmith & Co of Mossley in 1996.'
Concerts organized by the Friends of the Whitworth Art Gallery whose 'main aim is to support the work of the University of Manchester’s Whitworth Art Gallery and its internationally renowned collection. Nowadays the Friends is an independent charity and is run entirely by the membership'.
Recently Added Listings
- * Wollaton Recorded Music SocietyCategory: Recorded Music SocietiesCreated:
- + Sovereign BrassCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- + Hampshire Music Service Ensembles and ChoirsCategory: Young Persons Concert Music EnsemblesCreated:
- * Portadown FestivalCategory: Local Competitive Music FestivalsCreated:
- + Yate & Chipping Sodbury Good Afternoon ChoirCategory: Community ChoirsCreated:
- ~ OrganFaxCategory: Classical Music PortalsCreated:
- + Brockham ChoralCategory: Choral SocietiesCreated:
- * Letchworth Music SocietyCategory: Local Concert PromotersCreated:
- + Welsh National OperaCategory: Opera CompaniesCreated:
- * Making MusicCategory: Accessibility to MusicCreated:
- + Dorset Chamber OrchestraCategory: Chamber OrchestrasCreated:
- * Haslemere Recorded Music SocietyCategory: Recorded Music SocietiesCreated:
- + Burton Musical Theatre CompanyCategory: Operatic and Dramatic SocietiesCreated:
- @ The Blake TheatreCategory: Theatres and Opera HousesCreated:
- ~ Arts Development UKCategory: Music Associations and SocietiesCreated:
- + Mid-Somerset OrchestraCategory: Community Orchestras and BandsCreated:
- + Thurrock Male Voice ChoirCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- * Crail FestivalCategory: Arts FestivalsCreated:
- * Stanford SocietyCategory: Composer SocietiesCreated:
- + Cantorion Llandeilo SingersCategory: Community ChoirsCreated:
- * Beer WurlitzerCategory: Organ and Keyboard ClubsCreated:
- + Sale Brass BandCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- * EYSMCategory: Summer SchoolsCreated:
- + Locrian Chamber ChoirCategory: Chamber ChoirsCreated:
- + Hertfordshire Chamber OrchestraCategory: Chamber OrchestrasCreated:
- + Melbourne Male Voice ChoirCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- ~ Forton MusicCategory: Music PublishersCreated:
- * MorgensternsCategory: Classical Musicians for HireCreated:
- * Minehead & Exmoor Music FestivalCategory: Classical Music FestivalsCreated:
- + CoronachCategory: Early Music EnsemblesCreated:
- + Perth Choral SocietyCategory: Choral SocietiesCreated:
- * Tetbury Music FestivalCategory: Classical Music FestivalsCreated:
- + Royal Sutton Coldfield OrchestraCategory: Symphony OrchestrasCreated:
- + NoteAbilityCategory: Community ChoirsCreated:
- ~ Choir Schools' AssociationCategory: Music Associations and SocietiesCreated:
- @ Palace Theatre NewarkCategory: Theatres and Opera HousesCreated:
- + Whitburn BandCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- + Chalfont Concert Wind BandCategory: Concert and Wind BandsCreated:
- * Wye Valley Chamber MusicCategory: Workshops and MasterclassesCreated:
- * Britten-Pears FoundationCategory: Composer SocietiesCreated:
- + Wyndham SingersCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- + Ballet CymruCategory: Ballet CompaniesCreated:
- + Redhill SinfoniaCategory: Chamber OrchestrasCreated:
- * Cirencester International Organ FestivalCategory: Instrumental FestivalsCreated:
- + Brass Sounds InverclydeCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- * Hertfordshire Music ServiceCategory: Local Music Services and TrustsCreated:
- + Erewash Musical SocietyCategory: Operatic and Dramatic SocietiesCreated:
- + London Symphony OrchestraCategory: Symphony OrchestrasCreated:
- @ Hever CastleCategory: Historic Houses and BuildingsCreated:
- + National Youth Choirs of Great BritainCategory: Young Persons Singing Groups and ChoirsCreated:
- Show more...