How to Search
The Categories in the Directory are arranged hierarchically, e.g:
- EXPLORE ... >>> England >>> South West >>> Devon >>> Totnes
- Organizers ... >>> Music Education and Training >>> Music Courses and Workshops >>> Summer Schools
Entries are indexed under the narrowest (or lowest) applicable Category. Thus details of the Dartington International Summer School & Festival will be found under 'Totnes' and 'Summer Schools'.
However, if you click All Listings (found top right under most Category Headings), you can generate a combined list of a Category and any Sub-Categories it has. Thus clicking All Listings for the 'South West' Category gives all the Entries for all the places in the South West (including of course 'Totnes'); similarly, 'Music Education and Training' all the Entries for organizations that are involved with Music Education and Training (including 'Summer Schools').
Further, you can Sort such 'All Listings' to reveal the 'most visited' Websites, the most 'popular' Listings, the most 'recently added' Entries. You can also Filter the results by keyword search or by using various Tags: Genre; Type of Venue; Locality; Area - though many of the Tags available will not be relevant in the Listings you have generated. And you should always Reset before trying a Filter. In any case, it is usually easier and is often more effective (if for instance you were interested in all Entries concerned with 'music education and training' in the 'South West') to use Advanced Search: but again I advise you press 'Reset' before trying this facility.
There are five types of Record in the Directory:
* Organizers - concert societies, cultural festivals, music colleges and academies, etc
+ Performers - orchestras and bands, choirs and singers, chamber ensembles, etc
= Soloists - pianists, violinists, sopranos, tenors, etc
@ Venues - cathedrals, concert halls, arts centres, etc
~ World of Classical Music - portals, associations, magazines, online platforms, etc
Each Record is cross-referenced if appropriate to a geographical Locality and Area within the EXPLORE Categorization.
A marker on a Google MAP is generated when it is helpful and appropriate to pinpoint the address where concert- and recital-related activity is taking place
The Map is displayed at the foot of the 'Full' Record for the Directory Entry. The individual markers can then be collated within a UK-wide Map and displayed at the top of a page of Listings. Clicking on a marker within such a Map reveals the Title of the Record and clicking that takes you to the relevant 'Full' Record.
SEARCH (top right) must be minimum of 3, maximum of 20 characters and searches all Records in the Directory
The system should search for one or more than one character string (the default is Boolean 'AND') within all of the following Fields across the whole Directory (occasionally it goes astray!):
- Category Title See the top left-hand column of each screen for the Categorization Headings I use.
- Title of the Record e.g. + Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra; = Daniel Cook; ~ Light Music Society; * Music at Paxton; @ Royal Albert Hall
- Locality When applicable (naturally, many people and organizations cited here do not operate just in one Locality in which case this Field is left blank) the place in or nearby which all or most concert and recital activity occurs. The Localities currently in use are displayed as a Tag Field at the foot of each Page.
- Area With some refinements, this is the English County or Northern Ireland/Scottish/Welsh Region housing the Locality.
- Also indexed This Field is used for alternative names of the Organization, or for particular activities not given separate full Entries herein.
Browse using the Maps, the Categories, the A-Z at the top of the page, the breadcrumbs, the hyperlinks within each Record, or use the All Listings/Filter function or Advanced Search
The principal aim of this Directory is to encourage users to browse around topics or places of interest - and I have tried to make it easy to do this. People who just need to find the Websites of already known specific organizations or persons will usually use one or other of the generic search engines rather than this Directory.
If you want to send a Link to a Record to a friend or colleague ...
Click on Recommend at the foot of the appropriate Record.
If you need more details ...