Historic Houses and Buildings
'Music At The Unicorn is a not-for-profit group that stage music events in the beautiful Abingdon Abbey Buildings, usually in the Unicorn Theatre. The Unicorn is a small, 90 seat, intimate venue with brilliant acoustics for music.'
'First opened as “The People’s Palace” in 1873, Alexandra Palace provided the Victorians with a great environment and recreation centre. Just sixteen days after its opening, the Palace, which had already attracted over 120,000 visitors, was destroyed by a fire in the dome. On 1st May 1875, less than 2 years after the destruction of the original building, a new Palace opened. Covering 7 acres, it was centred on the Great Hall, home to the mighty Willis Organ which was driven by two steam engines and vast bellows ... Just six months after the transfer of trusteeship to Haringey Council, on 10th July 1980, the Palace caught fire for the second time ... Only Palm Court and the area occupied by the BBC escaped damage. Development and restoration work began soon after and the Palace was re-opened on 17th March 1988. It continues as a Charitable Trust administered by the London Borough of Haringey.'
'Built in the 1390's this building is a testament to the wealth and influence of the Guild of St Mary at a time when Boston's power as a centre of trade was second only to London. This wonderfully preserved building, with a wealth of original features, has survived the centuries and is to be enjoyed as one of Boston's finest visitor attractions.' Hosts occasional concerts and recitals.
'Bridge Cottage is a medieval "Wealden" hall house built around 1436. It is larger than usual and contains high quality timberwork suggesting that the house was built for a person of local importance ... Bridge Cottage is an unusual and atmospheric venue for music concerts and other events.' Amongst related activities, the Heritage Centre organize a Concert Series.
'A stunning concert venue nestled in the beautiful, yet accessible, South Somerset countryside. The theatre was created from the old coach house in 1962, before being completely rebuilt in 1993. It has excellent acoustics and sightlines, and is the perfect size for chamber music and other small-scale performances. Dillington House has been bringing internationally renowned musicians to the West Country since the 1960s ...'
'A living monument to much of England’s history. It remains a living home, and not a museum, although it contains a wealth of period furnishings, artifacts, paintings and decorations ... When being refurbished the Great Barn was designed with concerts in mind. We have staging and lighting and have hosted everything from the Peatbog Faeries to Christian Blackshaw. A great location for a gig or classical concert. Steinway Concert D available for professional use (subject to tuning charge).'
@ Hever Castle New!
'Welcome to the Summer Festival! ... Whatever your preference, we are confident you will find something in the programme to suit your taste whether it be an entertaining play, an authentic musical celebration of a classic artist or a party night out. Perhaps jazz or swing is more your thing, or you are looking for a fantastic family show to delight your children or grandchildren? If so, we worked hard over the winter months to book a wide selection of high quality shows for your entertainment.'
'Originally built in 1582 as a private home for three-times Lord Mayor of London, Sir Richard Martin, Lauderdale House in Highgate is now a community hub, welcoming over 65,000 visitors every year. Each year we host a wide range of cutting-edge exhibitions and events, bringing the brightest new talent and high-profile established performers to north London.'
'Historic venue in the heart of Leominster ... Built in the grand regency style - a stunning example of elegance from a bygone era ... The Lion Ballroom makes a lovely concert venue with seating for an audience of 120. Although it has hosted concerts for the past twenty years or so, there has been increased activity since 2013 with monthly and sometimes fortnightly concerts featuring a wide range of musicians ...'
'Ludlow Assembly Rooms opened its doors in May 1993 in the restored and updated buildings of the former Assembly Rooms, dating from 1840. The opening was the result of five years of tireless campaigning by a group of people who believed that our rural community deserved its own place of entertainment ...'
'Parlour Concerts (or house concerts) are "proper" professional concerts but in an intimate setting. They offer an exceptional opportunity to see and interact with talented musicians informally and personally ... Guests pay an agreed donation to provide the artists with a guaranteed income – this is how they earn their living! Because of the very small audience size we do need to know for sure whether you will be attending or not ...'
'Milton Abbey offers a stunning and scenic venue for a variety of events and special occasions ... Be sure to visit our Events/Tickets page for details of the concerts, drama productions and themed lunches and dinners which we regularly host here at Milton Abbey where you can now book tickets online. We look forward to welcoming you to our special venue soon ...'
'The recitals are held in what used to be the great hall of a late Jacobean house designed and built by Sir Roger Townshend with his Master Mason William Edge. Later paved in marble by William Kent and embellished in the C18th style, this room epitomises the dual spirit of Raynham Hall. Lofty, elegant and flooded with light it also has a clear but gentle resonance which is perfect for the intimate chamber music presented at the Raynham Recitals.'
The Chapel 'was originally built around 1301 and was Bishop Stapledon’s chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence and adjacent to his home in the town, sometimes referred to as his "palace" ... With the support of the Dartmoor National Park and finance from English Heritage, a major restoration was carried out in 1986. St. Lawrence Chapel is now a Heritage, Cultural and Community Centre, owned and run by The Guild of St. Lawrence ... The venue has a number of rooms suitable for a wide variety of events - from art, craft and photographic exhibitions through to concerts, drama, rehearsals and other community events'.
'A beautiful and historic venue in the unique setting of a Victorian spa village in the heart of the Highlands. Specialising in live music and entertainment, weddings, conferences plus its very own Bar & Restaurant. Come and see for yourself ...'
Since the late 1990s have offered about ten concerts per year in each summer season: 'The range of music and style this year is wider than in previous years. We hope you will explore these new realms, enjoy the concerts, the players and their superb musicianship It is our hope and intention to attract younger people to our Barn Concerts ...'
'The Castle Hotel has been hosting events in Taunton for more than 40 years. From chamber music weekend concerts to comedy nights, arts & crafts workshops to the Castle art talks, you are sure to find some of the best entertainment in Somerset on our events calendar.'
'Set majestically on the banks of the River Thames, The Mill at Sonning Theatre now celebrates more than 30 years of entertainment. Uniquely, as the only dinner theatre in the United Kingdom, it has gained unrivalled praise both nationally and internationally ... When the mill closed in 1969, it was one of the last flour mills on the Thames driven by wheels. The new port mill at Tilbury had opened and Sonning, being much smaller could not compete economically. Also, one of Sonning’s major customers, Huntley and Palmers, stopped making biscuits in Reading ... The Mill is completely self-sufficient. No sponsors, no grants - not a penny of tax-payers' money supports us. We live on your patronage at our box office.'
'Trevor Beale started the wonderful tradition of Concerts at West Lodge Park in 1974, and the season of concerts each year has continued ever since ... The format is simple – enjoy good food, fine wine and high quality classical music in beautiful and civilised surroundings.'
'Wilton's Music Hall is a gem in the heart of London and the oldest grand music hall in the world. It presents a year round programme of exceptional live music and world-class productions alongside learning and participation work that engages the local community and schools.'
'Established 1994, the Barn is a vibrant cultural hub at the heart of Deeside. With an eclectic programme and loads of community involvement, the Barn is always an exciting place to be ... The transformation of the farm steading at Woodend into an arts centre was prompted by a community play which was performed in the grounds of Crathes Castle in July 1992 ... Woodend Music Society (WMS) was formed in 1998 to promote classical music. We programme five or six concerts each year at the Barn.'
Recently Added Listings
- * Wollaton Recorded Music SocietyCategory: Recorded Music SocietiesCreated:
- + Sovereign BrassCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- + Hampshire Music Service Ensembles and ChoirsCategory: Young Persons Concert Music EnsemblesCreated:
- * Portadown FestivalCategory: Local Competitive Music FestivalsCreated:
- + Yate & Chipping Sodbury Good Afternoon ChoirCategory: Community ChoirsCreated:
- ~ OrganFaxCategory: Classical Music PortalsCreated:
- + Brockham ChoralCategory: Choral SocietiesCreated:
- * Letchworth Music ClubCategory: Local Concert PromotersCreated:
- + Welsh National OperaCategory: Opera CompaniesCreated:
- * Making MusicCategory: Accessibility to MusicCreated:
- + Dorset Chamber OrchestraCategory: Chamber OrchestrasCreated:
- * Haslemere Recorded Music SocietyCategory: Recorded Music SocietiesCreated:
- + Burton Musical Theatre CompanyCategory: Operatic and Dramatic SocietiesCreated:
- @ The Blake TheatreCategory: Theatres and Opera HousesCreated:
- ~ Arts Development UKCategory: Music Associations and SocietiesCreated:
- + Mid-Somerset OrchestraCategory: Community Orchestras and BandsCreated:
- + Thurrock Male Voice ChoirCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- * Crail FestivalCategory: Arts FestivalsCreated:
- * Stanford SocietyCategory: Composer SocietiesCreated:
- + Cantorion Llandeilo SingersCategory: Community ChoirsCreated:
- * Beer WurlitzerCategory: Organ and Keyboard ClubsCreated:
- + Sale Brass BandCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- * EYSMCategory: Summer SchoolsCreated:
- + Locrian Chamber ChoirCategory: Chamber ChoirsCreated:
- + Hertfordshire Chamber OrchestraCategory: Chamber OrchestrasCreated:
- + Melbourne Male Voice ChoirCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- ~ Forton MusicCategory: Music PublishersCreated:
- * MorgensternsCategory: Classical Musicians for HireCreated:
- * Minehead & Exmoor Music FestivalCategory: Classical Music FestivalsCreated:
- + CoronachCategory: Early Music EnsemblesCreated:
- + Perth Choral SocietyCategory: Choral SocietiesCreated:
- * Tetbury Music FestivalCategory: Classical Music FestivalsCreated:
- + Royal Sutton Coldfield OrchestraCategory: Symphony OrchestrasCreated:
- + NoteAbilityCategory: Community ChoirsCreated:
- ~ Choir Schools' AssociationCategory: Music Associations and SocietiesCreated:
- @ Palace Theatre NewarkCategory: Theatres and Opera HousesCreated:
- + Whitburn BandCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- + Chalfont Concert Wind BandCategory: Concert and Wind BandsCreated:
- * Wye Valley Chamber MusicCategory: Workshops and MasterclassesCreated:
- * Britten-Pears FoundationCategory: Composer SocietiesCreated:
- + Wyndham SingersCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- + Ballet CymruCategory: Ballet CompaniesCreated:
- + Redhill SinfoniaCategory: Chamber OrchestrasCreated:
- * Cirencester International Organ FestivalCategory: Instrumental FestivalsCreated:
- + Brass Sounds InverclydeCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- * Hertfordshire Music ServiceCategory: Local Music Services and TrustsCreated:
- + Erewash Musical SocietyCategory: Operatic and Dramatic SocietiesCreated:
- + London Symphony OrchestraCategory: Symphony OrchestrasCreated:
- @ Hever CastleCategory: Historic Houses and BuildingsCreated:
- + National Youth Choirs of Great BritainCategory: Young Persons Singing Groups and ChoirsCreated:
- Show more...