'Known principally for his solo songs, Armstrong Gibbs also wrote music for the stage, sacred works, three symphonies and a substantial amount of chamber music, much of which remains unpublished. He gained wide recognition during the early part of his life, but until recently, like many of his contemporaries, has been little known. Although he retired from adjudicating, he continued conducting and composing right to the end of his life.'
'Founded in early 2003 with the aim of furthering the appreciation, understanding and knowledge of the music of Sir Arthur Bliss (1891-1975). He was one of the most important figures in British musical life from the early 1920s (when he was regarded as an enfant terrible) through to his later years and his tenure of the office of Master of the Queen's Music from 1953, following Sir Arnold Bax, who had died suddenly in October of that year ... The website of The Bliss Trust contains biography, bibliography and discography, and we complement this on the Society's site with active information about social and study events, current news and comment, details of membership, how to join and how to contact us.'
* Berlioz Society New!
'Our activities include at least two meetings a year in London. We also organise or inform members of visits to places associated with Berlioz, events and performances of his works. The main event of each year is a themed weekend—usually in November. This includes talks on subjects such as Berlioz's work and personality, the time and society in which he lived and the attitudes of his contemporaries—as well as recorded performances of his work, and a dinner with a guest speaker.'
'The Chopin Society in London is devoted to celebrating the life and works of Fryderyk Chopin. It holds regular Sunday afternoon recitals in a number of impressive venues in central London. Recitals are open to the general public as well as members ...'
'Flourishing organisation whose aim is to bring together those interested in Frederick Delius and his music. Whilst the membership list includes leading Delius scholars and performers, the majority of members are not professional or even practising musicians and they join purely because of their curiosity in, or love for, the unique music of Delius.' Website can list forthcoming concerts and recitals which include music by Delius.
'Founded in 1974, the Dvořák Society is one of the most active music societies in Britain. Though it is firmly based in Great Britain, it has members in many countries. The Society promotes interest in and encourages performances of music by all Czech and Slovak composers and artists, past and present — in this country and elsewhere — and publishes articles and information about all aspects of Czech and Slovak musical life. The Society’s services and publications are widely respected.'
'It is no surprise that the Elgar Society is the largest in the UK devoted to a single composer: not only is his music endlessly fascinating but so is the man himself! Certainly anyone who loves Elgar’s music should join the Elgar Society. Its excellent regular publications keep us fully informed about performances of his music worldwide as well as containing many fascinating articles about the man and his music alongside often previously unpublished photographs ...'
'The John Ireland Charitable Trust was formed in 1968 to promote awareness of Ireland's works through recordings, performances and publications ... Notification of forthcoming concerts and events which include works by John Ireland should be sent to the Publicity Officer ...'
'This web site is here to promote the history, the music, and encourage the scholarship of this important composer of some of the most perfect songs ever written ... If you or your music group i.e. orchestra, choir, ensemble wish to announce your event that includes a work or works by Peter Warlock, please submit full details by e-mail to our web master ...'
Formed in 1994: 'Membership has grown steadily and ten years since the first meeting, the Society signed up its 1,000th member. Due to the influence of the world wide web the Society continues to grow and has seen overseas membership rise sharply. In this our 21st anniversary year we hope to welcome you too, to our thriving Society dedicated to learning about the life and music of Ralph Vaughan Williams ... The Page "Vaughan Williams Concerts" is intended to keep members informed of concerts featuring the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams and will be updated at regular intervals'.
'Aims to promote the music of Franz Peter Schubert (31 January 1797 – 19 November 1828). Therefore it intends to be open to everyone who takes an interest ... Associate Membership is open to everyone free of charge. Just send your email address to the Secretary and you will be e-mailed with details of upcoming concerts. Occasionally we may send an email with concerts that are not organised by us, but which we think might interest you ... Supporting Membership is open to everyone for a donation ...'
'As well as his celebrated operatic collaboration with W.S. Gilbert, Sullivan composed in practically every musical genre: oratorio, cantata, ceremonial works, symphony, concerto, overture, incidental music for the stage, piano and chamber works, songs, hymns and anthems. There are also ten operas with other librettists. The Society has sponsored numerous CDs of these works and encouraged many performances. Membership is open to all who are in sympathy with our aims. Benefits include a fully illustrated magazine three times a year and regular newsletters giving details of forthcoming performances and recordings ...'
Established 1998: 'The Trust’s declared purpose is to advance the education of the public in the understanding and appreciation of music of the late Sir George Dyson and by making available his manuscripts, writings, scores, drafts and memoranda for the encouragement of the study of his work'. Note the Trust's Music Blog set up at the start of 2017.
'The Society’s activities include regular meetings, talks, study days, concerts and master-classes held in Central London, for which a modest charge is made. Members are kept up-to-date with events through a quarterly publication, Wagner News, as well as through the Website.'
Recently Added Listings
- + Wyndham SingersCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- + Ballet CymruCategory: Ballet CompaniesCreated:
- + Redhill SinfoniaCategory: Chamber OrchestrasCreated:
- * Cirencester International Organ FestivalCategory: Instrumental FestivalsCreated:
- + Brass Sounds InverclydeCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- * Hertfordshire Music ServiceCategory: Local Music Services and TrustsCreated:
- + Erewash Musical SocietyCategory: Operatic and Dramatic SocietiesCreated:
- + London Symphony OrchestraCategory: Symphony OrchestrasCreated:
- @ Hever CastleCategory: Historic Houses and BuildingsCreated:
- + National Youth Choirs of Great BritainCategory: Young Persons Singing Groups and ChoirsCreated:
- * Leominster FestivalCategory: Community Music FestivalsCreated:
- + Plymouth Area Police ChoirCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- * Wharfedale Recorded MusicCategory: Recorded Music SocietiesCreated:
- + Grantham Choral SocietyCategory: Choral SocietiesCreated:
- * NLMS Music Summer SchoolCategory: Summer SchoolsCreated:
- + West Wickham Operatic SocietyCategory: Operatic and Dramatic SocietiesCreated:
- + Amadeus Chamber OrchestraCategory: Chamber OrchestrasCreated:
- * Mark Kendall Artists ManagementCategory: Artist Managers and AgenciesCreated:
- + Wessex Concert OrchestraCategory: Symphony OrchestrasCreated:
- + VOCES8Category: Small Vocal GroupsCreated:
- + Camden ChoirCategory: Choral SocietiesCreated:
- + Broadland BandCategory: Concert and Wind BandsCreated:
- * Louth & District Concert SocietyCategory: Local Concert PromotersCreated:
- + Kings Langley Musical Theatre CompanyCategory: Operatic and Dramatic SocietiesCreated:
- + New Essex ChoirCategory: Community ChoirsCreated:
- ~ The StradCategory: Music MagazinesCreated:
- + Mereside BrassCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- * Southern Early Music ForumCategory: Early MusicCreated:
- + Wadebridge Male Voice ChoirCategory: Male Voice ChoirsCreated:
- @ St Thomas of Canterbury BrentwoodCategory: ChurchesCreated:
- + Bones Apart Trombone QuartetCategory: Chamber QuartetsCreated:
- * Stockbridge MusicCategory: Local Concert PromotersCreated:
- + Brecknock SinfoniaCategory: Symphony OrchestrasCreated:
- * Llanfyllin Music FestivalCategory: Chamber Music and Song FestivalsCreated:
- + New Mills BandCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- * Academy of Music & SoundCategory: Music Academies and CollegesCreated:
- * tynefolkCategory: Folk ClubsCreated:
- * Shuffle FestivalCategory: Community Music FestivalsCreated:
- * Peterborough Music HubCategory: Local Music Hubs and NetworksCreated:
- + Derbyshire SingersCategory: Choral SocietiesCreated:
- + Bridlington Amateur Operatic and Dramatic SocietyCategory: Operatic and Dramatic SocietiesCreated:
- ~ Music Education CouncilCategory: Music Associations and SocietiesCreated:
- @ Marina Theatre LowestoftCategory: Theatres and Opera HousesCreated:
- * Berlioz SocietyCategory: Composer SocietiesCreated:
- @ University of NottinghamCategory: Universities Colleges SchoolsCreated:
- + Belsize Community ChoirCategory: Community ChoirsCreated:
- + Roberts Bakery BandCategory: Brass and Silver BandsCreated:
- + Solihull Symphony OrchestraCategory: Community Orchestras and BandsCreated:
- * Ashford Federation of ArtsCategory: Local Arts BodiesCreated:
- * Hawkes House Jazz ClubCategory: Jazz ClubsCreated:
- Show more...